class: center, middle # The FOSS Operating System business ## What I have learnt so far ![Webconverger logo](images/logo.png) --- # A bit about me
1. Care about doing small business, my own business 2. Archlinux user 3. Scratched an itch 4. Eeking out a living doing this for the last two years full time
--- # A bit about you
* You are Cambodian or an expat like me? * You use Linux on your laptop * You are very fluent in English * You are passionate * Take what I say with a pinch of salt * Willing to learn new (and old) things * Not afraid of becoming an all rounder --- background-image: url(images/cafe.jpg) class: inverse # Why Webconverger?
* How Webconverger came into being # What's the problem ? * Difficult to deploy * Difficult to secure * Difficult to manage --- # Heard of the Unix philosophy? Get a philosophy! * http://suckless.org/philosophy ← bit long # Rant about distros
* Too general * Not solving a single problem * Packaging is a mess --- # How to make
software that does not SUCK
* Use git - learn it already * Use gitfs - make sure it can update and BONUS even roll back * Keep it simple - start small, iterate fast --- # Have a coarse grained API * Don't be a puppet * Make it simple for your users to achieve their goals * Get rid of complexity ## Maybe leverage a Web API?
--- # How Webconverger makes money * Express the option for payment * Subscriptions not licenses * With one time [pricing](http://www.webconverger.com/pricing/) # A fool says: But it's OSS, you can't sell OSS * Our OS is free as in freedom * Our control panel is not free, you pay for it * Your (configuration) data is your own * Our customer service is something you pay for --- # What stops you and I from making money * Barriers to entry * OOXML * Non-Web garbage * Distribution * Closed hardware * Difficult to port to hardware * Monopolies * Intel * Google * Facebook * Apple * Payment services * Consultancy temptations --- # The future * Operating systems aren't going out of fashion * CoreOS + Docker * ARM * sta.li # Always bet on the Web
Please focus on Web technologies, the only sane open platform there is --- # Questions ? * "Kai Hendry" on any Web search engine * firstname.lastname@example.org * Managing Director Webconverger * \#webconverger on Freenode IRC * @kaihendry on twitter * http://hendry.iki.fi * github: https://github.com/kaihendry * Don't friend me on Facebook